2018 A to Z: O… All About Nancy Drew
In 2016 I learned of the first annual April A to Z… it immediately intrigued me and I began racking my brain for a theme. After much reading, and thinking… I finally came up with the theme of Southern Foods and Memories… it said to write what you know! When April of 2017 rolled around, I decided to share Conversations with Mama to the world… the best of my on-going blog post that has generated from nightly talks to my mother. It’s now 2018 and as Nancy Drew has been on my mind… since I began re-building my collection back… well, I hope you will join me in celebrating All about Nancy Drew during the April A to Z Blog Hop!
O is for… Out of Time, On My Shelf, and Oh My!
Out of Time:
How many times has Nancy been almost out of time… as in “not” getting caught… and all the times of out of time and getting caught!
Remember when she was hiding in the cabin in The Secret of the Old Clock… and the villain discovered her… throwing her in the closet. She just knew no one would ever discover her and she would starve! Couldn’t you just picture her in that closet… her, thinking she’d starve… like no one would find her… it was kind of laughable, that she was that afraid… our Nancy!
On My Shelf:
- 1: The Secret of the Old Clock – 1930: Nancy did an awesome sleuthing job in tracking down the clock. I’m looking forward to reading the original text (OT) and read about Nancy darning socks… and I thought Nancy couldn’t sew!
- 2: The Hidden Staircase – 1930: Who doesn’t love trasping down a hidden staircase in heels fighting off cobwebs! Nancy’s friend Helen Corning called Nancy for help in solving somewhat strange “hauntings” at Aunt Rosemary’s family mansion. Nancy couldn’t resist the mention of music, thumps, creaking noises and eerie shadows on the walls… which always intrigued Nancy immediately!
- 3: The Bungalow Mystery – 1930: haven’t read
- 4: The Mystery at Lilac Inn – 1930: The first book I found in re-building my collection, and the first one I re-read! I learned that Nancy was skilled in scuba diving in this book.
- 5: The Secret at Shadow Ranch – 1931: Nancy was quite skilled in her shooting skills in this read, and a good thing she was, or…. they might not have made it back to the ranch that night, as they were lost on the trail and someone was tracking them.
- 6: The Secret of Red Gate Farm – 1931: haven’t read
- 7: The Clue in the Diary – 1932: Nancy first met Ned in this book as he somewhat rescued her car… I think she liked him immediately but didn’t want to dare let Bess and George know! Bess mentioned Ned’s blue eyes in this book, but Wiki says they are brown!!
- 8: Nancy’s Mysterious Letter – 1932: Nancy was quite intrigued after reading the letter from England and couldn’t wait to help solve the mystery of the other Nancy!
- 9: The Sign of the Twisted Candles – 1933: haven’t read
- 10: The Password to Larkspur Lane – 1933: This storyline had somewhat a “genealogy” intrigue to me as Nancy searched for a family crest to discover the family that the bracelet belonged to.
- 11: The Clue of the Broken Locket – 1934: Quite a few different mysteries which intertwined altogether – I enjoyed them all.
- 12: The Message in the Hollow Oak – 1935: haven’t read
- 13: The Mystery of the Ivory Charm – 1936: Nancy, as usual, came to the rescue and saved a life, while almost trampled by Old Tom and squeezed to death by the snake which fell on her!
- 14: The Whispering Statue – 1937: I’m still looking for!
- 15: The Haunted Bridge – 1937: haven’t read
- 16: The Clue of the Tapping Heels – 1939: haven’t read
- 17: The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk – 1940: haven’t read
- 18: The Mystery at Moss-Covered Mansion – 1941: haven’t read
- 19: The Quest of the Missing Map – 1942: haven’t read
- 20: The Clue in the Jewel Box – 1943: haven’t read
- 21: The Secret in the Old Attic – 1944: haven’t read
- 22: The Clue in the Crumbling Wall – 1945: I enjoyed Nancy’s story of how she named the old man selling the clams… it was sometimes quite farfetched in the plot but there’s no mystery Nancy can’t solve!
- 23: The Mystery of the Tolling Bell – 1946: I had a hard time staying interested in this storyline… and somewhat skimmed over a lot. It’s the first time a book just didn’t want to make me read, but I did feel guilty skimming through it though!
- 24: The Clue in the Old Album – 1947: haven’t read
- 25: The Ghost of Blackwood Hall – 1948: Nancy never gave up in her search for the ghosts and why the girls were leaving money at the tree.
- 26: The Clue of the Leaning Chimney – 1949: haven’t read
- 27: The Secret of the Wooden Lady – 1950: still looking for!
- 28: The Curse of the Black Keys – 1951: haven’t read
- 29: The Mystery at the Ski Jump – 1952: haven’t read
- 30: The Clue of the Velvet Mask – 1953: haven’t read
- 31: The Ringmaster’s Secret – 1953: haven’t read
- 32: The Scarlet Slipper Mystery – 1954: Nancy does it all… also an accomplished ballerina… who knew she could dance on her toes?
- 33: The Witch Tree Symbol – 1955: haven’t read
- 34: The Hidden Window Mystery – 1956: haven’t read
- 35: The Haunted Showboat – 1957: haven’t read
- 36: The Secret of the Golden Pavilion – 1959: haven’t read
- 37: The Clue in the Old Stagecoach – 1960: haven’t read
- 38: The Mystery of the Fire Dragon – 1961: I enjoyed this story and all the various storylines they were involved in. Another book which had Nancy tied up, but she used her skills in escaping; good thing she carried lipstick for the SOS!
- 39: The Clue of the Dancing Puppet – 1962: Nancy proved quite the actress in solving this caper.
- 40: The Moonstone Castle Mystery – 1963: haven’t read
- 41: The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes – 1964: haven’t read
- 42: The Phantom of Pine Hill – 1965: haven’t read
- 43: The Mystery of the 99 Steps – 1966: haven’t read
- 44: The Clue in the Crossword Cipher – 1967: haven’t read
- 45: The Spider Sapphire Mystery – 1968: haven’t read
- 46: The Invisible Intruder – 1969: This book had way too many mysteries going on at once… and that paddling canoe had me laughing as they tried catching it!
- 47: The Mysterious Mannequin – 1970: haven’t read
- 48: The Crooked Banister – 1971: haven’t read
- 49: The Secret of Mirror Bay – 1972: haven’t read
- 50: The Double Jinx Mystery – 1973: haven’t read
- 51: Mystery of the Glowing Eye – 1974: haven’t read
- 52: The Secret of the Forgotten City – 1975: haven’t read
- 53: The Sky Phantom – 1976: Still elusive to me!
- 54: The Strange Message in the Parchment – 1977: haven’t read
- 55: Mystery of Crocodile Island – 1978: haven’t read
- 56: The Thirteenth Pearl – 1979: I’m still looking for this elusive one also, so if you have it hiding in your attic… feel free to send it on to me!
1979 ended the Nancy Drew books yellow spine matte books published by Grosset & Dunlap… but the books continued… published under the banner of Nancy Drew Mystery Stories; now published in the paperback, beginning in 1979 and 1981, but later reissued in the hardcover format around 2005; then printed in the “flashlight” hardcover book style to match the first 56… reprinted as the flashlight series.
The reprinting of the Nancy Drew book series has a flashlight on the top banner and soon became known as the “flashlight series.” Why a flashlight… well didn’t every young girl read Nancy Drew under the covers? The Nancy Drew Mystery Stories finally ended in 1981… but never actually ended… as they continued to publish Nancy Drew in paperback through No. 175 in 2003.
I have not read any of the paperbacks as yet, and quite honestly… they just don’t grab me! I love the look and feel of the yellow spines and think I’d feel as if I was unfaithful by turning to the paperbacks! I do have a few sitting alongside my Nancy Drew’s, and maybe…. one day I’ll read and compare, but first I have to finish rereading my old favorites. Reading the stories today is often a dual read… as the first 34 books actually have two story versions per say, as revisions began in 1959. So you know what that means… I am compelled to read them both… and as my mother tells me quite often… I’m such a glutton for punishment! As you can see above, I have many books left to read… but I’m in no rush… I’m enjoying the read!
They printed several more stories in the flashlights in hardcover… I’ll be including them alongside my vintage ones.
- 57: The Triple Hoax – 1979: Looking For
- 58: The Flying Saucer Mystery – 1980:
- 59: The Secret in the Old Lace – 1980: Looking For
- 60: The Greek Symbol Mystery – 1980:
- 61: The Swami’s Ring – 1981: Looking For
- 62: The Kachina Doll Mystery – 1981:
- 63: The Twin Dilemma – 1981:
- 64: Captive Witness – 1981:
Oh, My… what am I thinking… building another collection just as I retired. What I should be doing is de-cluttering my house of all things gathered through the years. If you need anything… I just bet that I have it in my house… somewhere! Just ask! I could probably craft for the rest of my life and never buy another craft item!
After cleaning out my bookcase of books I’ve read and saved through the years… I began building another book collection… Nancy Drew’s are multiplying all over the place… and this A to Z… All About Nancy Drew I’m writing for this April (2018) has me really saying… OH MY, What Am I Doing!
Want to read more, click below….
© 2018, copyright Jeanne Bryan Insalaco; all rights reserved